Our earn-your-way-back initiative is intended only for girls who have participated in a Terranaut Club program before.
If you have already participated in a Terranaut Club program and want to return for another one this summer, we have a special request for you to earn your way back this time! In order to make sure that you’ve taken the messages we taught you to heart and to action, you’ll have to prove to us that you’ve become an STEM or environmental leader in your household or community. But don’t be nervous – we’ve written a list of examples of simple activities that you can do to earn your way back and become a part of our Junior Research League!
- Interview a female scientist and ask them about their career
- Do a beach/park/school yard clean-up
- Invite at least 2 friends or family members to help you collect garbage at a local public space. Don’t forget to use gloves and be careful of sharp objects! If it looks dangerous, ask an adult to pick it up for you.
- Volunteer for a few hours at a local animal shelter
- Show off your engineering skills by designing and building something! Participant Ella K. built a soccer-ball catapult last year. How cool?!
- Start a science club at your school
- Do a school project on a female scientist
- Plant flowers that bees love in your garden
- (Just Google ‘flowers that bees like’ to find out which type!)
- Go on an hour-long hike with at least 2 friends or family members, and identify at least 5 types of plants
- You don’t have to kill a plant to identify it. If you don’t know what it is, take a photo to look at later! Also remember that some plants can be harmful if you touch them, so either wear gloves or don’t get too close!
- Have another idea? We love creativity! Send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure that it counts!
If you’ve already done something recently to make a positive impact on your community STEM leadership, that counts too!
How To Earn Your Way Back
- We’ll post more instructions in early 2020!
This summary is for you, our amazing participants, to fill out. Don’t worry about making sure that your writing is perfect, this is about your effort! Download the file and answer the 3 questions as best as you can, and either insert your activity photo into the document or attach it in your e-mail.