COVID-19 Update (04/24/20)
The safety of our youth participants and volunteers is of utmost importance to us. We’re following the COVID-19 situation carefully and will make a decision about running our summer programming on or before June 1st. Our nomination deadline has been extended to May 15th, and nominations will be saved for summer 2021 in the event that our programs are postponed.
The deadline to submit earn-your-way-back activities has also been extended to May 15th. In the meantime, please continue to practice social distancing to keep all of our loved ones safe!
Our earn-your-way-back initiative is intended only for girls who have participated in a Terranaut Club program before.
If you’d like to be considered to come back for another program, you’ll have to prove to us that you’ve become an environmental or STEM leader in your household, classroom, or community by completing an activity and telling us all about it an activity report! Note that you still have to be nominated for the program of your choice by an adult that knows you well.
New to summer 2020: Since we have so many participants who are eager to return, completing an earn-your-way-back activity does not guarantee you a seat in one of our programs. But since these activities all benefit your community, you’ve still done a great thing even if you aren’t selected to return this year!
- Beach/park/school yard clean-up
- Invite at least 2 friends or family members to help you collect garbage at a local public space. Don’t forget to use gloves and be careful of sharp objects! If it looks dangerous, ask an adult to pick it up for you.
- Volunteer for a few hours at a local animal shelter
- Go to an environmental or science demonstration (with permission from your parents)
- Write a complaint letter/e-mail to a company (or government) that should be acting more environmentally friendly
- Write an e-mail/letter of support to a company that has environmentally friendly practices (hooray!)
- Write an e-mail/letter to a female scientist asking them about their career or thanking them for their work (this can be a scientist you know or that you’ve seen on the Internet)
- Draw a poster of a woman in science or environmentalist that highlights their achievements
- Start a science or environmental club at your school
- Organize an activity in your class for Earth Day (April 22nd)
- Plant flowers that pollinators like bees love in your garden
- (Just Google ‘flowers that pollinators like’ to find out which type!)
- Go on an hour-long hike with at least 2 friends or family members, and identify at least 5 types of plants
- You don’t have to kill a plant to identify it. If you don’t know what it is, take a photo to look at later! Also remember that some plants can be harmful if you touch them, so either wear gloves or don’t get too close!
- Have another idea? We love creativity! Send us an e-mail to make sure that it counts!
If you’ve already done something recently to make a positive impact on your community with respect to STEM or the environment, that counts too! For example, if you participated in the #ClimateStrike at your school, this counts (and way to go!) 😀
How to complete your activity:
- Pick an activity from the list above and ask your parent/guardian for permission. If you think of an activity that isn’t listed, send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to get approval. If you’ve done an earn-your-way-back activity in a past year, you have to pick a new one this year.
- Complete your activity and make sure you have someone take photos of you doing it!
- Fill out the activity report below and e-mail it to us at email@example.com by May 15th, along with 1 – 3 photos.
Download our Activity Report, fill it out, and e-mail it back to us (along with 1 – 3 photos) by May 15th. If you’re having trouble downloading or completing the report, send us an e-mail with your answers to these questions:
- What’s your name?
- Which Terranaut Club program did you participate in last summer?
- What activity did you do to earn-your-way-back?
- Why did you pick this activity?
- Did you learn anything from doing this activity?
- Why do you want to return for another Terranaut Club program?