Our Earth Allies/earn your way back initiative is intended only for girls who have participated in a Terranaut Club program before.
If you have already participated in a Terranaut Club program and want to return for another one this summer, we have a special request for you to earn your way back this time! In order to make sure that you’ve taken the messages we taught you to heart and to action, you’ll have to prove to us that you’ve become an environmental or STEM leader in your household or community. But don’t be nervous – we’ve written a list of examples of simple activities that you can do to earn your way back and become an Earth Ally! And what better month to try out some of these activities than April? Earth Day is quickly approaching on April 22nd, and your packages are due May 6th!
- Beach/park/school yard clean-up
- Invite at least 2 friends or family members to help you collect garbage at a local public space. Don’t forget to use gloves and be careful of sharp objects! If it looks dangerous, ask an adult to pick it up for you.
- Volunteer for a few hours at a local animal shelter
- Go to an environmental or science demonstration (with permission from your parents)
- Write a complaint letter to a company (or government) that should be acting more environmentally friendly
- Write a letter of support to a company that has recently become more environmentally friendly (hooray!)
- Write a letter to a female scientist asking them about their career or thanking them for their work (this can be a scientist you know or that you’ve seen on the Internet)
- Start a science or environmental club at your school
- Organize an activity in your class for Earth Day (April 22nd)
- Plant flowers that bees love in your garden
- (Just Google ‘flowers that bees like’ to find out which type!)
- Go on an hour-long hike with at least 2 friends or family members, and identify at least 5 types of plants
- You don’t have to kill a plant to identify it. If you don’t know what it is, take a photo to look at later! Also remember that some plants can be harmful if you touch them, so either wear gloves or don’t get too close!
- Have another idea? We love creativity! Send us an e-mail at email@example.com to make sure that it counts!
If you’ve already done something recently to make a positive impact on your community with respect to STEM or the environment, that counts too! For example, if you participated in the #ClimateStrike at your school, this counts (and way to go!) 😀
How To Earn Your Way Back
- Complete one of the activities listed above and make sure that someone gets a photo of you doing it.
- Send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your photo, and your completed summary (below) before May 6th
- Mark May 13th on your calendar – that’s when we’ll get back to you by!
- Pat yourself on the back – you just did something awesome for your community!
This summary is for you, our amazing participants, to fill out. Don’t worry about making sure that your writing is perfect, this is about your effort! Download the file and answer the 3 questions as best as you can, and either insert your activity photo into the document or attach it in your e-mail.