- July 24th – 27th
- Overnight program, accommodations in a cabin on Bon Portage Island
- Bon Portage Island (the Evelyn and Morrill Richardson Field Station in Biology)
- 10 seats
- We’ll take a boat 3 km to and from Bon Portage Island, off of Shag Harbour
- We’ll assist female biologists from Acadia University with their Leach’s storm petrel (a small grey seabird) conservation research, helping to “grub” the adult and petrel chicks from theirs nests to evaluate their health
- We’ll do a marine pollution workshop, discussing how pollution affects marine animals, and how we can reduce our consumption of single-use plastics
- We’ll collect plastic waste that has washed ashore on the Island and do a chemistry experiment
- We’ll set fish traps in the Island’s saltwater ponds and learn about basic data collection by measuring and identifying our catch
- We’ll learn how to use coding to organize and visualize wildlife data
- We’ll use microscopes to observe the effect of oil on bird feathers
- We’ll do guided naturalist hikes all around the Island, learning about edible plants and Island biodiversity
- We’ll learn about wildlife conservation careers and what it’s like to study wildlife conservation in college and university
To learn more about this program, which was last offered in 2019, head to our Intermediate Wildlife Conservation program page (this program used to be named the Junior Wildlife Conservation program).
Due to the nature of this program, a hybrid format (online + in-person component) will not be available. In the event that this program cannot take place on Bon Portage Island as a result of COVID-19 regulations, we will do our best to offer an alternative hybrid or fully online option for participants placed in this program. The in-person component for the hybrid option would take place in the Wolfville area.
See here for Terranaut Club’s current COVID-19 Safety Measures.
Who Can Apply
Girls and under-represented genders aged 12 – 15 who reside in Nova Scotia. Participants from New Brunswick and PEI are welcome to apply to be placed on our waitlist, should we be able to welcome girls+ from out-of-province this year.
How To Apply
Participants must be nominated by an adult that knows them well (parents included) by Tuesday, June 8th.