- July 15th – 16th
- Day program, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Wolfville area/Smiley’s Provincial Park
- Drop-off/pick-up times and locations to be determined
- 10 seats
- We’ll get hands-on with marine invertebrates and microorganisms in their natural habitat, the Wolfville mudflats, and learn how to use microscopes
- We’ll learn how to use coding to tell stories about local wildlife using scientific data
- We’ll tour a local fish hatchery to learn about how we can save endangered fish species, and explore a nearby research station
- We’ll dissect locally-sourced squid and get up-close-and-personal with squid embryos
- We’ll learn how to snorkel to survey underwater habitats at Smiley’s Provincial Park
- We’ll take water samples from different locations and use technology to assess water quality and chemistry, learning about how chemical pollution affects marine life
- We’ll learn about careers in marine biology and what it’s like to study marine biology at college and university
We are currently preparing multiple delivery options for our Summer 2021 programs, contingent on provincial COVID-19 Safety Guidelines. If necessary, this program may be adapted to a hybrid format (online + in-person component) OR be fully online. We will try our best to adapt listed activities for an online environment, but activities may be subject to change. If this program is adapted to a fully online format, participants will be sent program kits in the mail.
Read Terranaut Club’s current COVID-19 Safety Measures.
Who Can Apply
Girls and under-represented genders aged 9 – 12 who reside in Nova Scotia. Participants from New Brunswick and PEI are welcome to apply to be placed on our waitlist, should we be able to welcome girls+ from out-of-province this year.
How To Apply
Participants must be nominated by an adult that knows them well (parents included) by Tuesday, June 8th.
This is a new program, so we don’t have photos to show you! But rest assured that we’re going to have a fantastic time learning all about what it’s like to be a marine biologist at this level II program.