ABOUT NOVA SCOTIA
Nova Scotia is a province situated on the East coast of Canada, alongside the glorious Atlantic Ocean. This province boasts incredible diversity in terms of animal life, plant life, ecosystems, and landscapes, to name a few. These factors make it the perfect place to host our Canadian programs, offering us limitless opportunities for our participants to explore and discover new interests. These programs are offered to our participants at no cost, ensuring girls from diverse socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds have the chance to become passionate about science and nature.
So what are some examples of immersive activities that our girls can experience in Nova Scotia?
- Assisting with threatened marine species research in the Bay of Fundy, including collecting, measuring, tagging, and releasing Atlantic sturgeon and skates 🐟
- Learning about tidal power development in the Bay of Fundy and renewable energy across Nova Scotia ♻️
- Assisting with conservation research of Leach’s storm-petrels on Bon Portage Island, Nova Scotia, including grubbing, measuring, and banding 🐦
- Learning about the technology behind the tracking of Great white sharks in Atlantic Canada 🦈
- Assisting with invasive Green crab monitoring and management efforts at Kejimkujik Seaside National Park 🦀
- Learning camping skills at Bon Portage Island, Kejimkujik National Park, or many other parks across Nova Scotia ⛺️
- Learning outdoor exploration skills like canoeing, kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, and map reading 🛶
- Connecting with Mi’kmaw culture through guided exploration at Kejimkujik National Park 🔎
- Mudflat hiking and mud sliding at low tide in the Bay of Fundy 🏄🏽♀️
- Guided naturalist hikes of Nova Scotian forests 🌲
What about mentorship?
All of our programs are delivered by female Instructors with diverse backgrounds in STEM fields, who also happen to be passionate about education and the environment. Wherever possible, our activities will be guided by female specialists. This means that we seek out STEM and nature exploration activities where our participants will get to work alongside and learn from women in science, in a casual and supportive environment.
Are you the leader/administrator/teacher of a group of deserving and awesome girls that you think would love an experience like this? Contact us, and check out our photo gallery below to see some of the incredible experiences, creatures, and women in science that we’ve connected our girls to.