There are two components to this new program, and both are mandatory.
- Attend our STEMinists Leadership Development program on June 30 – July 1 to get certified as a Terranaut Club “Leader-in-Training”.
- Volunteer as a Leader-in-Training at one of our three Junior-level programs this July and August, including our Junior Marine Biologist: Level I, Junior Marine Biologist: Level II, and Junior Wildlife Conservation programs. As a Leader-in-Training, you’ll help us run the program by leading an activity (that you developed!), and helping to supervise our young participants.
STEMinists Leadership Development Program
- June 30 – July 1
- Wolfville area
- Overnight camping at Smiley’s Provincial Park
- 6 seats, 2 Leaders-in-Training volunteer at each Junior-level program
- We’ll do a workshop on authentic leadership with Let’s Sprout
- We’ll develop 1-hour, hands-on activities for our Junior-level programs and our Leaders-In-Training will practice leading these activities
- We’ll learn about environmental and science education, along with effective teaching strategies
- We’ll assist local female scientists with bird conservation field work in the Annapolis alley
- We’ll do a water chemistry activity, engineering of water filters that we’ll then test for microorganisms
- We’ll do mini-interviews with current female STEM students at Acadia University about their research and then turn them into social media posts to promote local women in science
The goals of this program are to give participants the opportunity to develop their leadership skills, engage with local women in science, and learn about the environment.
Girls must attend our STEMinists Leadership Development program on June 30 – July 1 to get certified as a “Leader-in-Training”. As part of this program, girls must then volunteer at one of our three Junior-level programs this summer:
Junior Marine Biologist: Level I
July 4 – 5 | 1.5 days, overnight | Wolfville area
Junior Marine Biologist: Level II
July 7 – 8 | 1.5 days, overnight | Wolfville area
Junior Wildlife Conservation
August 2 – 3 | 1.5 days, overnight | Wolfville area
Who Can Apply
Girls and gender minorities aged 15 – 18 who live in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and who can find their own transportation to and from both program locations.
How To Apply
In addition to being nominated for this program by an adult that knows them well, girls must also complete this application. Parent/guardian help may be needed for the start of this form, but girls are expected to complete the final 4 questions themselves. Before applying, please make sure that your nominee is available for at least 2 of the Junior-level programs dates since we can’t guarantee their first choice.
STEMinists Leadership Development Application
Thank you for your application! We’ll get back to you by May 16th.