31/05/2021 UPDATE: In response to the latest Provincial regulations, we have decided to change our STEMinist Leadership Development program to a Day Program.
There are two components to this new program, and both are mandatory.
- Attend our STEMinists Leadership Development program on July 5th – 6th to get certified as a Terranaut Club “Leader-in-Training”.
- Volunteer as a Leader-in-Training at one of our three Junior-level programs this July and August, including our Junior Marine Biologist: Level I, Junior Marine Biologist: Level II, and Junior Wildlife Conservation programs. As a Leader-in-Training, you’ll help us run the program by leading an activity (that you developed!), and helping to supervise our young participants.
- July 5th – 6th
- Day program
- Activities taking place in the Wolfville area
- 6 seats, 2 Leaders-in-Training volunteer at each Junior-level program
- We’ll do a workshop on authentic leadership with Let’s Sprout
- We’ll learn how to snorkel to survey underwater habitats at Smiley’s Provincial Park
- We’ll learn about water quality assessment and chemistry, and how leaders from Terranaut Club developed this activity
- We’ll develop 1-hour, hands-on activities for our Junior-level programs and our Leaders-In-Training will practice leading these activities.
- We’ll learn about environmental and science education, along with effective teaching and classroom management strategies
- We’ll join Girls on Boards for an exciting SUPing expedition at Lumsden Pond Provincial Park
- We’ll do mini-interviews with female leaders in STEM to learn about their research and experiences, and then turn them into social media posts to promote women in science
We are currently preparing multiple delivery options for our Summer 2021 programs, contingent on provincial COVID-19 Safety Guidelines. If necessary, this program may be adapted to a hybrid format (online + in-person component) OR be fully online. We will try our best to adapt listed activities for an online environment, but activities may be subject to change. If this program is adapted to a fully online format, participants will be sent program kits in the mail.
Read about Terranaut Club’s current COVID-19 Safety Measures.
The goals of this program are to give participants the opportunity to develop their leadership skills while working with kids, engage with local women in science, and learn about STEM and environmental education.
Girls must attend our STEMinists Leadership Development program on July 5th – 6th to get certified as a “Leader-in-Training”. As part of this program, girls must then volunteer at one of our three Junior-level programs this summer:
🦑 Junior Marine Biology: Level I
July 8th – 9th | 2 days, day program | Wolfville area & Smiley’s Provincial Park
🐟 Junior Marine Biology: Level II
July 15th – 16th | 2 days, day program | Wolfville area & Smiley’s Provincial Park
🦋 Junior Wildlife Conservation
July 20th – 21st | 2 days, day program | Wolfville area & Blomidon Provincial Park
Who Can Apply
Girls and under-represented genders aged 15 – 18 who reside in Nova Scotia. Participants from New Brunswick and PEI are welcome to apply to be placed on our waitlist, should we be able to welcome girls+ from out-of-province this year. Applicants must be returning Terranaut Club participants (have participated in an in-person program before) to be eligible.
How To Apply
Nominations are not required for this program, but girls+ must complete the following application. Parent/guardian help may be needed for the start of this form, but girls are expected to complete the final 4 questions themselves.
Before applying, please make sure that your nominee is available for at least 2 of the Junior-level programs dates since we can’t guarantee their first choice. This application closes on Tuesday, June 8th.