🍄 LEVEL II: BON PORTAGE 🐥
- August 1-5
- 5 days, staying in cabins overnight
- Bon Portage Island (the Evelyn and Morrill Richardson Field Station in Biology)
- 12 seats
- Drop-off/pick-up times and locations to be determined
- No prior knowledge needed
- Taking a boat, we’ll travel 3 km to and from Bon Portage Island off of the Shag Harbour wharf
- Assisting female biologists from Acadia University with their Leach’s storm petrel (a small grey seabird) conservation research, we’ll help “grub” the adult and petrel chicks from theirs nests to take different measurements of their health and growth
- Setting motion-activated wildlife cameras around the Island, we’ll identify the Island’s wildlife and movement corridors and review the video footage
- Exploring the Island’s tide pools at low tide and learning about marine invertebrates
- Hiking through the Island, we’ll learn to identify local plants and fungi
- Learning about different wildlife conservation organizations from around the world and making donations as Terranaut Club
- Learning about careers in wildlife conservation and what it’s like to study wildlife conservation at college and university
- And more!
This program is open to girls and under-represented genders ages 12-15 who live in the Maritime provinces (NB, NS, PEI). Participants from other areas are welcome to apply for our wait list.
How To Apply
Participants must be nominated by an adult that knows them well, including parents/guardians.