The truth about the STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering and math) is that they’re not always easy to love. 👎🏽 Even in college and university, the best courses usually aren’t until your later years. This sucks, and we totally understand! So we developed the Terranaut Club as an antidote to boring, in-class, learn-from-the-textbook STEM. 📚 We’re an alternative to traditional science education, bringing girls to the forefront of exciting, hands-on, immersive experiences in science and nature.🌱 But… we know that we can’t give everyone these opportunities, so we’ve curated this resource page to help bring more fun🎈 STEM media into your day-to-day life.
- Female-run social media accounts we love (T = Twitter, F = Facebook, I = Instagram) 👩🏿👩🏽👩🏾👩🏼👩🏻
- @science.sam (T/I)- Samantha Yammine, science storyteller and PhD researcher on stem cells, neuroscience, and developmental biology
- @kodewithklossy (T/F/I) – Karlie Kloss, supermodel, coding enthusiast, and founder of Kode with Klossy
- @danniwashington (T/F/I)- Danni Washington, Jamaican-American marine biologist and host of Xploration Nature Knows Best
- @autumn.peltier (I) – Autumn Peltier, 12 year old Aboriginal advocate for water and the environment
- @astro_nicole (T/F/I) – Nicole Stott, “The Artistic Astronaut”
- @heirstoouroceans (T/F/I) – Youth leaders in ocean conservation
- @mika.mckinnon (T/F/I)- Mika McKinnon, disaster researcher, TV and movie science consultant, field geophysicist, and freelance science communicator
- @sherylsandberg (T/F/I) – Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook and inspiring woman in technology
- @engineeringinstyle (I) – Katherine Quigg, engineer with fashion and lifestyle blog “Engingeering in Style”
- @biologistimogene (T/F/I) – Imogene Cancellare, wildlife biologist and science communicator
- @astro_sandy (T) – Sandy Magnus, engineer and former NASA astronaut
- @egraslie (T/I)- Emily Graslie, host of the Brain Scoop, and Chief Curiosity Correspondent for Field Museum
- @brinkleydavies (I) – Brinkley Davies, marine conservationist and founder of Balu Blue Foundation
- Xploration Station TV Series: Science for Everyone 📺
- Xploration Nature Knows Best: hosted by Danni Washington, a Jamaican-American marine biologist
- Xploration Outer Space: hosted by Emily Calandrelli, an MIT engineer and astronautics expert
- Xploration Awesome Planet: hosted by Phillippe Cousteau
- Xploration DIY Sci: hosted by Steve Spangler
- Find out where and when these shows air near you
- Her Volution
- A program based in Toronto, Canada, to advance education by providing workshops and instructional seminars on topics relating to STEM for low income and marginalized youth with a focus on girls and young women.
- Their amazing #canwomenSTEM150 series, featuring diverse women from across STEM fields
- Skype a Scientist 💻
- Skype a Scientist matches scientists with classrooms around the world! Scientists will Skype into the classroom for 30-60 minute Q and A sessions that can cover the scientist’s expertise or what it’s like to be a scientist.
- YouTube channels we love (not all of these are appropriate for a younger audience, use discretion) 📹
BOOKS & MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS 📚
- Rachel Ignotofsky’s Etsy store that features posters, art prints, books, pillows, and t-shirts that highlight women in science
- Her fantastic book, Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World
We’re constantly updating this list, so be sure to check back often!