There are two components to this program, and both are mandatory.
- Attend our STEMinists Leadership Development program on July 2-3 to get certified as a Terranaut Club “Leader-in-Training”
- Volunteer as a Leader-in-Training at one of our Junior or Intermediate-level programs this July and August and help us run the program by leading an activity (that you developed!) and supervising our younger participants
- July 2-3
- 2 days, camping overnight
- Wolfville & Smiley’s Provincial Park
- 6 seats
- Drop-off/pick-up times and locations to be determined
- No prior knowledge or experience needed
- Learning about authentic leadership with Let’s Sprout
- Developing 1-hour, hands-on activities for our Junior and Intermediate-level programs and practicing leading these activities
- Learning about environmental and science education, along with effective teaching and classroom management strategies
- Collecting water samples and learning about water quality and chemistry
- Snorkeling to survey the underwater habitat at Smiley’s Provincial Park
- Joining Girls on Boards for an exciting SUPing expedition at Lumsden Pond Provincial Park
- Doing mini-interviews with female leaders in STEM to learn about their research and experiences, and then turning them into social media posts to promote women in science
- Learning about careers in STEM and environmental education and how to study this at college or university
Girls must attend our STEMinists Leadership Development program on July 2-3 to get certified as a “Leader-in-Training”. As part of this program, girls must then volunteer at one of the following programs:
🦞 Junior Marine Biology Level I
July 5-6 | 2 days, overnight | Windsor & Smiley’s Provincial Park
🐟 Junior Marine Biology Level II
July 9-10 | 2 days, overnight | Wolfville & Smiley’s Provincial Park
🐋 Intermediate Marine Biology
July 16-18 | 2 days, day program | Lunenburg & the Morton Centre
Girls and under-represented genders aged 15 – 18 who live in the Maritimes (NB, NS, PEI). Applicants for this program must be returning Terranaut Club participants (have participated in an in-person program before) to be eligible.
How To Apply
Nominations are not required for this program, but girls+ must complete the following application. Parent/guardian help may be needed for the start of this form, but girls+ are expected to complete the final 3 questions themselves.
Before applying, please make sure that your nominee is available for at least 2 of the volunteering programs dates since we can’t guarantee their first choice. This application closes on May 1st.