- Terranaut Club x Girls Inc. Sarasota: Threatened Species and Ecosystems of South Florida (December 1st & 2nd)
- With partner Field School, funded by the Fulbright Canada & RBC EcoLeadership Program
- Coastal Biology Day Program (December 8th) in Miami, Florida, ages 10 – 13, pay-what-you-can
- Reptiles & Amphibians of South Florida Program (December 9th) Everglades National Park, Florida, ages 11-14, paid program
Our Florida programs are currently based out of Miami, an amazing tropical city with some of the world’s most recognizable wildlife. But many of these species: sharks, dolphins, manatees, sea turtles, and crocodiles, and their habitats: coastal ocean, open ocean, sandy beaches, and mangroves, are threatened. This provides us at the Terranaut Club with excellent opportunities to inspire and empower our girls to become advocates for the environment. Our programs in Florida are usually centred around a theme of marine conservation, where we fuse hands-on activities with at-risk marine species and ecosystems with exploration into the STEM fields. These programs are offered to our participants at no cost, ensuring girls from diverse socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds have the opportunity to become passionate about science and nature.
So what are some examples of Terranaut Club experiences in Florida?
STEM & Nature Exploration Activities:
- Assisting with shark conservation and research aboard the R/V Garvin, including learning how to fish for sharks, and measuring, tagging, testing for reflexes, and releasing sharks back into the ocean 🦈
- Learning about the technology used in tracking sharks and other marine species 🕹
- Designing and building baited remote underwater video systems (BRUVs) 🎥
- Conducting beach clean-ups and learning about marine pollution 🏖
- Learning to snorkel and snorkeling through mangrove forests to see juvenile fish 🌊
- Learning about boat safety and how to read a map 🗺
- Assisting with coral reef conservation efforts 🐠
- Designing and building ocean drifters for oceanographic research 🏗
- Learning about ocean currents and oil spills, how oil spills affect marine life
- Learning about and assisting with sea turtle conservation 🐢
- Touring a dolphin rehabilitation center 🐬
- Project-based learning about renewable energies in Florida ♻️
What about mentorship?
All of our programs are delivered by female Instructors with diverse backgrounds in STEM fields, who also happen to be passionate about education and the environment. Wherever possible, our activities will be guided by female specialists. This means that we seek out STEM and nature exploration activities where our participants will get to work alongside and learn from women in science, in a casual and supportive environment.
Are you the leader/administrator/teacher of a group of deserving and awesome girls that you think would love an experience like this? Contact us, and follow our social media to keep up-to-date about program offerings!