Our 🇺🇸 American 🇺🇸 programs are currently based out of south Florida, an incredible tropical region with some of the world’s most charismatic wildlife. Our south Florida programs combine hands-on experiential learning with mentorship from real female scientists, and currently fall into two streams: marine science and wildlife conservation.
Our programs range in length from day-long to multi-day, overnight experiences, and welcome girls (and gender minorities) aged 9 – 15. Currently, these programs take place in the spring (April/May) and fall (November/December), and always feature an Instructor to participant ratio of at least 1:3. Some of our programs are open enrolment, while others are developed specifically for a partner group, like our Ocean Defenders program we offer annually to Girls Inc. Sarasota.
The bulk of our programming is offered to girls from underprivileged and/or underrepresented backgrounds (African-American, Native American, Hispanic/Latina) at a highly subsidized rate (free or pay-what-you-can), however we also develop and offer custom paid programs for girls (and groups) from more affluent backgrounds.
We’re always looking to partner with new groups, and urge you to contact us with potential collaborations!
Girls aged 11 – 15 | 2 days, overnight | Miami, Florida
Girls aged 11 – 15 | Day program | Everglades National Park, Everglades Outpost
(Now our “Junior Marine Biologist day program”) | Girls aged 9 – 13 | Day program | Miami, Florida
(Now our “Ocean Defenders program”) | Girls aged 11 – 15 | 2 days, overnight | Miami, Florida
Custom Program Options
Interested in working with us to develop a custom program for your group? Here are some examples of activities we’ve offered in the past:
- Assisting with shark conservation and research aboard the R/V Garvin, including learning how to fish for sharks, and measuring, tagging, testing for reflexes, and releasing sharks back into the ocean 🦈
- Learning about the technology used in tracking sharks and other marine species 🕹
- Designing and building baited remote underwater video systems (BRUVs) 🎥
- Conducting beach clean-ups and learning about marine pollution 🏖
- Learning to snorkel and snorkeling through mangrove forests to see juvenile fish 🌊
- Learning about boat safety and how to read a map 🗺
- Assisting with coral reef conservation efforts 🐠
- Designing and building ocean drifters for oceanographic research 🏗
- Learning about ocean currents and oil spills, how oil spills affect marine life
- Learning about and assisting with sea turtle conservation 🐢
- Touring a dolphin rehabilitation center 🐬
- Project-based learning about renewable energies in Florida ♻️